Sunday, March 16, 2014

Do it or don't do it...

Today was a day of doing what was important first.

I was at work, fighting to remain present...struggling to take things seriously...barely concentrating on what was right in front of me. Then the headache started. I gave in. I recognized what was important. I went home and gave my mind and body what it was demanding. Sleep. Sound, heavy sleep. I took my work phone home for emergencies but I honestly don't know if I could have possibly heard it from that far away place I was visiting.

Then my babygirl showed up. Earlier than expected and asking for some momma time. Have I mentioned much about this little gem that calls me Momma? Probably not, like not saying your birthday wish out loud before blowing out the candles or that wish you make on a star...speaking it aloud feels like tempting the fates to do the opposite. I shy away from talking about her because of how AMAZING we are together at this stage of the game. Suffice it to say that at 20 years old, she seeks out spending time together doing crazyfun things or doing absolutely nothing. Bliss.

We went out for food...the kind that nourishes your cells and soul. We picked up a movie. We cuddled up on the couch and promptly fell asleep again. There was work to do. There is always tomorrow.

So, the movie is over and there is time to write...all I could think about when I sat here were all the travel destinations I'd rather look up than write tonight. So, I did. I looked and I dreamed. I found the perfect place to host a creative weekend getaway for my tribe...and I'm mentally planning it.

In the spirit of accountability, I told my group that there was no writing tonight. I was held gently in a space obviously meant to nurture me and remind me to go easy on myself.

“The Principle of Priority states (a) you must know the difference between what is urgent and what is important, and (b) you must do what’s important first.” ~Steven Pressfield

I did what was important first.

Then the writing came.

Off to bed.

~sigh~

No comments:

Post a Comment