Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day Twenty Eight of Beauty

♥Can't say enough how great it is to have such a clean house...and to watch all the various people coming in and out of it showing respect to the babygirl for all her hard work.

♥An early morning drive to retrieve the boys, cooking Southern style breakfast and introducing mom to the Gallaghers on Showtime.

♥Saying no to an invitation out of absolute fear...calling back to say yes instead...deciding to be FEARLESS and it all working out.

Last year I took the kids on a hike to Bald Rock. I moved wrong climbing and started having back spasms so I yelled to them that I was heading back to the car and to take their time. It was an impromptu decision to do that hike and I was in a sundress and flip flops. With no phone. I got lost and it was approaching dark. When we arrived, we were the only car in the lot and we hadn't seen another soul the entire time we were there. I tried to backtrack and it was too steep. I was stuck and spasming pretty much nonstop by this point. I sat down and couldn't stop the tears. I couldn't breathe enough to yell through the hysterical tears...and I'm not a hysterical teary kind of girl. It was just too much...the hurting, the stuck feeling...the impending dark...the air turning cold. Finally I could yell but no one was responding. Until I heard a voice and saw a man. With a wolf. Seriously. A big smelly hairy wolf. He was pretty big and smelly and hairy himself. They both smelled like fresh green bud and it was right then that I realized what I had wandered into and that I would soon be in a shallow grave in the woods for trespassing on someone's illegal crop. Just as Yeti man made it to my side, the kids all appeared on the top of the ridge yelling and waving their arms. They came for me and Yeti man insisted on ensuring that we all got into the car and left. He stayed with us the entire painstaking trek back to the car and wrote my license plate number on his arm while blocking our way out of the parking space. Then he moved and we left.

Bald Rock is exactly what it sounds like, a big bare spot on the mountain. When we drove away from there that day, I cried tears of relief and swore I'd never ever go back. When I look at the mountains and there it is, all bald and obvious, it is a reminder of that stark terror feeling I had that day.

Well, today I went back. I went with two loves, one who has a navigation gene...the other with a great sense of humor and they brought me a whistle with a compass and a thermometer on it! I dressed appropriately and had my phone. It was LOVELY. I can look at the mountains and smile now...a victorious and happy smile from beating a fear and having a great time doing it!

The victorious view:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment